24 Mar Kihei Fourth Friday March 24, 2017
We are so excited to join Kihei’s Fourth Friday this month! Mermaid Mahina will be making a special appearance for the keiki. We as a community will be celebrating “Going Green”. Kihei Fourth Friday will be showcasing environmental health and lifestyle solutions that impact the health of our planet through hands-on demonstrations and in-booth presentations. There will be lots of tips on recycling, green waste and how to help our land and oceans!
Mermaids On Maui will be talking story on how we can all help protect are beautiful oceans we all love so much. Some ideas on our mind are;
1) Mind your Carbon Footprint and Reduce Energy Consumption by carpooling when possible, walking instead of driving and being conscious of energy we use at home.
2) Make Safe, Sustainable Seafood Choices our fish are being rapidly depleted due to demand, loss of habitat and unsustainable fishing practices. Here at home we should be mindful of what and when our fishes or lobster are in season. Practicing catch and release appropriately and never taking more than what we need.
3) Use Fewer Plastic Products that end up in the ocean. Plastics are harmful and can destroy the homes of our precious sea animals and entangle tens of thousands of marine animals a year. To limit your impact, carry a reusable water bottle, use your own shopping bag and recycle whenever possible.
Why RECYCLE? They’re many harmful chemicals released from rubbish in landfill sites. Recycling can help reduce the pollution caused by our rubbish! Recycling also reduces the need for raw materials in the rainforest. Raw material such as lumber, oils and gold.
4) Help Take Care of the Beach. We all love surfing, diving, swimming or just sunbathing so always clean up after yourself. Explore the ocean but never remove rocks, corals and live shells. We can also join a local beach clean up day!
5) Don’t Purchase Items That Exploit Marine Life, avoid purchasing items such as coral jewelry, tortoiseshell accessories and shark products to name a few.
Mermaid Mahina and Aunty Sarah will be setting up a free craft for the keiki. They will be able to pick out their own shell and paint on them;)
There will be a photo booth where kids can dress up like a mermaid in a mermaid tail and shell crown. Polaroids will be $5.00 and Polaroid with frame will be $10.00.
There will also be a limited amount of Mermaid tail and Finis Mono Fin for sale as well as beautiful handmade dolls and mermaids by @inspired_dolls_. Come and Visit;)
Picture taken by @_emily_grace